Lymphatic Drainage Massage
Manual lymphatic drainage or Detox massage is a very effective way of detoxing the body plus stimulating vital immune defenses. This is a powerful, deep cleansing treatment.
The lymphatic system is responsible for initiating the immune response, creating antibodies, draining interstitial fluid, and transporting dietary lipids or fats. Primarily, it relies on muscle movement to circulate the lymph fluid throughout the body.
However, with the lack of exercise and muscle movement, the lymph system may become sluggish and less efficient.
Manual lymphatic drainage is a form of massage whereby the massage therapist seeks to stimulate lymph flow and restore proper function to the lymphatic system.
Lymphatic drainage massage therapy uses gentle, rhythmic pumping techniques on the skin, in the direction that the lymph flow should be.
The benefits of lymphatic drainage can be both immediate as well as long term. Some of those benefits can include (but are not limited to):
- Promote healing – including acute injuries (fractures and sprains) as well as long term ailments such as arthritis
- Prevent illnesses – as proper lymph flow is restored, the body is better able to fight off infection and illness
- Relaxation and stress reduction – as will almost all forms of massage, manual lymphatic drainage massage therapy is a very soothing, gentle and relaxing therapy
- Pregnancy – for expectant mothers, lymphatic drainage is able to reduce swelling and pain caused by carrying a baby.
- Heals the skin – lymphatic drainage massage can help to heal burns, scars, in addition to reducing stretch marks
- Overall Health & Well Being – as with most forms of massage therapy, lymphatic drainage seeks to restore proper balance to the body so that your body can more effectively and efficiently heal itself.